Kunzea ericoides Kanuka, white tea treeApril 21st 2004
Kunzea ericoides Kanuka
The very light seed of Kanuka is wind dispersed and produced in abundance. These plants are colonisers of bare ground.
They form an important stage in the succession of the bush and provide an important nursery for other larger, long lived, species.
Light is needed for germination.
Sow finely on a fine seeds raising mix.
How do you tell the difference between Kanuka and manuka? Kanuka
- Is taller up. to 16m.
- Has a softer foliage to touch than manuka
- Has flowers in bunches or groups and flowers after manuka, usally in December. Flowers are white.
- has smaller seeds capsules tham Manuka.
- Is a smaller shrub or tree than Kanuka.
- Has a prickly foliage to touch
- Has singular flowers that are larger than Kanuka. May have a red colour to the flower.
- Flowers in Spring. October.
- Has larger seed capsules than Kanuka.
If you wish to learn more about native plants I suggest one of these natural history books from fishpond
border="0" http:="" www.fishpond.co.nz="">