A practical field guide to New Zealand's native edible plants. Andrew Crowe
Gardener's Encyclopaedia of NZ Native Plants by Cave, Paddison
Trees and Shrubs of New Zealand by Poole and Adams
The Reed Field Guide to New Zealand Native Trees by J.T. Salmon
A New Zealand garden
* The leafless broom Carmichaelia , with their small delicate flowers and interesting seed pods are almost totally confined to New Zealand. Hardy and thrive on neglect.
* Of course the flowering trees Pohutukawa Metrosideros excelsa, voted one of the worlds recognised ornamentals. Don't forget Kaka Beak Clianthus and for a scented flower Karapapa Alseuosmia banksii of the Kauri forests is the Chanel No. 10 of perfumed plants. These flowers would grace any garden in the world.
* The plants of the Offshore islands such as the tropical climber Tecomanthe speciosa, the local Poor Knights lily Xeronema callistemon with its beautiful crimson flower head and the large glossy leaved Puka Meryta sinclairii, grow well in northern gardens
* Plants of the Pseudopanax and Pittosporum groups have their headquarters within New Zealand and should look at home in any local setting. Their soft foliage and hardy nature makes them a popular choice of shelter.
* The grasses are fashionable at the moment as they are hardy, easy to maintain and suppress weeds. The toetoe (Not to be confused with that imported invader Pampas grass) is truly stunning in flower. For smaller grasses look for species of Carex, Festuca and Uncinia. Horticulturalists have selected some attractive leaf colours of these plants.
*Hebe make excellent border plants and with over 80 species and varieties to choose from they can fit into many situations.
The list of plants that exhibit a New Zealand feature is long and varied. Our flora is diverse, unique and often outrageously different. It is a National treasure to be cared for and rightfully admired. Incorporating Native plants within your garden will texture the landscape and define New Zealand's environment culture, plus support our threatened wildlife.
|Other useful links : Germination strategies A New Zealand garden Native Grasses Cultivation Guide Divaricating plants Juvenile & Adult Forms Dioecious plants NZ Botanists & plant names Proverbs & quotes Special features Photographs Information for identification|
Species list for information on native plants
Agathis australis Alectryon excelsa Alseuosmia banksii Aristotelia serrata Arthropodium cirratum Beilschmiedia tarairi Beilschmiedia tawa Brachyglottis repanda Carmichaelia Carpodetus serrata Coprosma Cordyline australis Cordyline banksii. Corynocarpus laevigatus Cyathodes fasiculata Dacrydium cupressinum Dacrydium kirkii Dianella nigra Dodonaea viscosa Dysoxylum spectabile Elaeocarpus dentatus Elingamita johnsonii Entelea arborescens Fuchsia excorticta Fuchshia procumbens Gaultheria Geniostoma ligustrifolium Hebe Hedycarya arborea Hoheria populnea Kunzea ericoides Laurelia novae zelandiae Lophomyrtus Libocedrus plumosa Leptospermum scoparium Knightia excelsa Macropiper excelsum Meryta sinclairii Melicope ternata Melicope simplex Melicytus ramiflorus Metrosideros excelsa Myoporum laetum Myrsine australis Nothofagus Phormium tenax Phyllocladus trichomanoides Prumnopitys Pittosporum Pisonia brunonnianum Podocarpus dacrydioides Colensoa physaloides Planchonella costata Pseudopanax Pseudowintera colorata Pomaderris kumaraho Rhabdothamnus solandri Rhopalostylis sapida Rubus Schefflera digitata Solanum aviculare Sophora microphylla Tecomanthe speciosa Toronia toru Vitex lucens Weinmannia